Un-rapping Presence

by Kevin


I took a stab at a limerick in my tribute to Steve Martin and really enjoyed it. Having never written poetry before, I wanted to try something else. I couldn’t really keep to a strict rhyme scheme or meter, but the words just started spilling out haphazard like. I guess that makes it an ALS rap. (Though I'm not a big fan of rap, lol!). I’d say that I won’t quit my day job ... but I already did, so ... if this ALS gig doesn’t pan out, I don’t know what I’m gonna do!


Un-rapping Presence


Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,

Not quite as bad as chronic halitosis.


Ultimately total muscular paralysis

With no means for any dialysis 


Of the toxins, head to moccasins,

Body permeated and breathing overrated.


Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,

Short changed life at time of diagnosis.


In constant danger of rash depression 

A guilt filled burden disorients impressions 


Of self worth, even life on earth,

Self realizing found agonizing.


Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,

Eyes clamped tight due to teary acidosis.


Starting to untether

Standing, wondering whether 

Banding together 


Will provide the solace

To avoid going soulless,

Frozen solid from infinite coldness.


Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,

Slow motion notions, a virtual neurosis.


Lying on the back 

Face skyward, mouth slack.


Eyes slowly close when about to doze 

A thought arose of a love that knows 

no boundaries or lows.


A simple prayer 

To fill the air


Wash out the stink 

Step back from the brink.


In the name of the Father

The evil one can’t bother.


In the name of the Son

ALS is on the run.


And of the Holy Spirit

I no longer fear it.


A cross carried, Jesus buried

He crushes death with His last breath 


To hell and then

Alive again!


Imagine our new glorified body 

Devoid of ills that made it shoddy 


With ALS we bear our crosses

Fold our hands and cut our losses 


Subdue our wills, align our choices 

Lift our eyes and raise our voices.


In Jesus' name, God's only Son

We join our pain and Life is won!

Comments

  1. I don't like rap either but I love this post. "And of the Holy Spirit I no longer fear it." What a beautiful prayer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He is free!

Funeral details--UPDATED

Update and thank you