collection of poems

Ok so I haven't posted in a while. Here's a catch up combo cross post of some poetry I posted to the ALS group. For hoyer hangin' you may need to Google hoyer lifts images or patient lift videos to catch the meaning if you're not familiar with this extremely helpful and totally ridiculous contraption.

I’m hoyer hangin'
Hoyer hangin'
Like a potted plant
In the corner hangin'
Knees up, bottom down
Gently swayin'

Hoyer hangin'
Hoyer hangin'
Catch 'o' the day
I got no say in
Cheeks spread, face red
Feet just danglin'

Hoyer hangin'
Hoyer hangin'
The birthday suit 
And sling are chafin'
Shower chair launch 
With a lunar landin'

Hoyer hangin'
Hoyer hangin'
Please don’t drop me 
I keep prayin'
Up here awhile now 
I’m still waitin'

Hoyer hangin'
Hoyer hangin'
Legs numb, drafty bum
I’m just sayin'
No rush but let’s push 
The button for layin'

Hoyer hangin'
Hoyer hangin'
Towel dried bottom
Like a moonshined raisin
Dignity's gone
But I’ll keep singin'

Hoyer hangin'
I’m hoyer hangin' ...


Likewise the cough assist machine is a helpful way to dislodge mucus and phlegm build up in my airway when I can't produce a strong enough cough to clear it. 

I can't help but poke fun at the ridiculousness of what we have to endure as the result of this stupid disease. I know many of you feel the same way. I also know that many with ALS or caregivers of, find it difficult to impossible to find any humor under such dire circumstances. To you especially, I want to encourage you to know you're not alone! I still have to fight through the periods of desperation with my wife. I find that it's in these lowest moments, that when I truly surrender myself, not to ALS, but to God, that I meet His Son Jesus Christ on the cross and feel His victory over death. I used to be resistant to this very same kind of witness by others. It wasn't until I was truly honest and open with myself that He burst open the flood gates. It's this power that lets me make fun of my situation despite its cruelty and allows a garden to grow amidst the ashes of devastation. 

Any hints of a Christmas tree in this garden are purely coincidental. 

Oh cough assist, Oh cough assist, 
Your huff and puff, I can't resist. 

You blow so hard, you fill my toes. 
You suck my lungs, out through my nose. 

Oh cough assist, Oh cough assist, 
A midnight tryst, my shop-vac kissed. 

You find the phlegm, that I can't seem 
To hork up like, I was a teen. 

Oh cough assist, Oh cough assist, 
Not used by my, proctologist. 

Though constipation, burdens me 
I'd rather not, be helped by thee. 

Oh cough assist, Oh cough assist, 
Stick to mucus, I insist. 

The machine that suc-tions up your prize 
Took my tonsils, cheeks and eyes

Oh cough assist, Oh cough assist, 
I thank you even though I jest 


And finally, a simple ode/prayer that reminds me that we all feel stuck under something many times. But that doesn't have to make us feel trapped. 


Underfunded research, for a disease misunderstood 
With underwhelming support, by those that govern if they would

Leaves unsupported families, islands in a public unaware 
Unable to stop a tragedy, under so much loving care 

Undergoing life's last chapter, unforgiving to the last 
Understanding the futility, unable to make it last 

Dear Lord, please help me out from under this dark cloud 
Your Grace will be sufficient, before I'm under ground 

I lay prostrate under foot of your most Holy Son
Under no pretense of worthiness, my suffering undergone 

My baptism under water entrusts my soul to you 
Under your divine protection, I'll awake to life anew

Comments

  1. Thankful you were blessed with a great sense of humor AND that you still maintain it! "Hoyer hangin"- I am going to google this contraption. -- Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and funny, poignant and hysterical. I love you Kevin Rowland! God has truly done wondrous things in you 😘.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He is free!

Funeral details--UPDATED

Update and thank you