Regarding my bolus formation

I had clinic last Wednesday. My previous poems had been shared with the clinic team, and so, Dr. Neel, my neurologist, challenged me to write a poem about "bolus formation". So after Google-ing what that was and a few other medical jargon-y terms that I thought he'd appreciate, I sent him this as a medical follow-up question through MyChart. [I included the glossary here so you don't have to look everything up, but I sent only the poem to doc Neel.]  

Subject: Regarding my bolus formation 

I have a problem with bolus formation
That train isn't leaving the station 
My tongue won't move food 
Lips aren't in the mood 
A disaster in the mastication

It's not a problem with lubrication 
I produce saliva like a new occupation 
Coughing fits of hi-jinks
Plague my oropharynx 
Now swallowing causes consternation 

My dysphagia is so hard to swallow 
Leaves an oropharyngeal hollow 
With digestion below us 
Disintegration of bolus
Is not very likely to follow 

I risk laryngeal penetration
My epiglottis lacks concentration 
My aspirations of eating 
A cohesive mass are now fleeting 
All thanks to my bolus frustration


Glossary:

A food bolus is a small, round mass of food that is formed in the mouth during the early phase of digestion. ... A food bolus is formed as food is chewed, lubricated with saliva, mixed with enzymes and formed into a soft cohesive mass. The bolus remains in the oral cavity (mouth) until the process of swallowing begins.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/a-food-bolus-is-formed-during-the-process-of-digestion-3146117

Your oropharynx includes the back part of your tongue (base of tongue), your tonsils, your soft palate (back part of the roof of your mouth), and the sides and walls of your throat. Your oropharynx makes saliva, keeps your mouth and throat moist and starts to help digest the food you eat. 
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/12180-oropharyngeal-cancer

Dysphagia is difficulty swallowing — taking more time and effort to move food or liquid from your mouth to your stomach. Dysphagia can be painful. In some cases, swallowing is impossible.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dysphagia/symptoms-causes/syc-20372028

Aspiration is defined as passage of materials through the vocal folds, and laryngeal penetration is defined as passage of materials into the larynx, but not through the vocal folds. ... Thus, risk of laryngeal penetration or aspiration varies, depending on food types. 
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20046051/

The epiglottis is a small, movable "lid" just above the larynx that prevents food and drink from entering your windpipe. 
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/epiglottitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20372227

Comments

  1. Kevin, thanks for making me laugh so hard I spit my drink out onto my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem! How did the doc react?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr said he thought it was brilliant! -jane

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He is free!

Funeral details--UPDATED

Update and thank you